Thursday, 2 October 2008

Gotta Run

Some people in the 70s thought it was just a craze, but now you can see people everywhere out running. I live about 8 blocks from Central Park. Not only do I love to get my exercise in by running through the area (never after dark, of course), but it is a tremendous people-watching opportunity! As I am currently training for the New York City Marathon, I have gotten more diligent about my runs. Less than a month to go now, and I'm off to complete 26.2 miles! Um.... with about 100,000 other runners.

Adam is quite supportive of my goal, although I don't picture him out running - he is too busy on the computer. I've half joked with him that he should fly to New York and cheer me on. So far, he hasn't bitten. Maybe if I let him "borrow" my Apple Macbook during the run. HA!

So, I'm following a marathon training program recommended by Hal Higdon. Generally, I go out 3 times a week during the work week for 45-60 minutes (about 6-8 miles). On the weekends, I go for a long run - anywhere from 12-22 miles, depending on the week. My last long run before the marathon is next weekend. After that, I need to tail down before November 2! I have a friend on the West Coast that is running her first marathon this weekend. We're going to compare notes after her finish at the Portland Marathon.

As I cruise through Central Park, I imagine myself crossing the finish line of the marathon. My iPod is my constant companion, and I love to distract myself from the monotony of long miles by classifying the other road warriors that I pass. Here's my tally from yesterday:

Moms working off post-baby weight: 9
Men working out for a new girlfriend: 3
Anorexic/exercise bulimics: 4
Someone who just lost his job: 1
'Roid users: 2 (maybe 3)
True competitors: 6
Trying to stop smoking: 2

Of course, I classify myself as a "true competitor." We'll see what next month brings...

1 comment:

Rizzo said...

Those chicks are HAWT!

Submit this page to


[get this widget]